Friday, January 20, 2017

Forrest J. Ackerman

Forrest J. Ackerman was a big deal in the SF/F/H community, working as a writer, editor and agent, and also the man who put out the magazine Famous Monsters of Filmland.  Forry, as he was known to many, also collected print and movie memorabilia in the science fiction, fantasy and horror genres--he owned the ring and cape Bela Lugosi wore in the 1931 film DRACULA!  How cool is that!

I met Forry in 1998 at his favorite restaurant, House of Pies, then we headed up the road to his 'Mansion'.  Forry was a nice, sweet man, full of knowledge about the genres he loved, and he showed me around his amazing house crammed to the rafters with all sorts of movie and print items.  He admitted that he adored my Darker Passions series of novels and was missing one, so when I returned home I mailed it to him.  Forry was like a kid, so excited and enthusiastic about the world of the fantastic that he loved, and his excitement charged my own--how could it not?

Forry died in 2008 and his vast collect was split up. But a company formed, Famous Monsters, and they have put out various products, including a mammoth hardcover book of graphic novels called Tales from the Acker-Mansion. There are many wonderful and well-known writers and artists who have penned or inked these comic stories. I am honored to be included in this book with the script I wrote from my story "Heart of Stone", drawn by Drew Rausch.




Forrest J. Ackerman

Nancy @ the Ackermansion

B#4

No comments:

Post a Comment